The NIE is the personal document that allows foreign citizens to carry out those procedures that require their tax identification before the Spanish Tax Agency (acts such as: signing an employment contract, opening a bank account, etc.).
This number alone does not entitle the holder to reside in Spain if it is not accompanied by a residence permit.

It is the Foreigner's Identity Card (Tarjeta de Identidad del Extranjero), which is the document used to prove the legal status of a foreigner in Spain.
Once you have obtained your residence permit, you must go to the national police station closest to your home to apply for your TIE.
At this appointment you must bring your passport, the administrative resolution granting you the residence permit, a small photograph passport and proof of payment of the 790 012 fee.
Within the first month from the granting of the residence permit the foreigner must apply in person for the Foreigner's Identity Card, at the Police Station in the same region where the permit has been processed.
At the time of the fingerprinting process, the applicant shall show his passport to prove his identity and shall provide:

  • Application form for the Foreigner's Identity Card (Model EX17)
  • Proof of payment of the ID card fee.
  • A recent color photograph, white background, passport size.

If you need it and you expressly request it, VISAL IMMIGRATION will help you with the appointment to obtain the TIE card and we will prepare the necessary documents for this process at the national police station.

It has to be a policy managed by an insurance company with an office in Spain that provides coverage during your entire period of residence, with no co-payments and no deductibles.

A policy has no co-payments when 100% of the cost of the medical service you request is covered by the insurance company.

A policy has no waiting periods when you can start using the medical services provided in your policy immediately after having registered with the insurance company.

We can help you getting this type of private health insurances if needed.

It is that certification, issued by the civil registry where your property is registered, which includes the current data regarding its complete description, its owner or owners, the rights that may have been constituted on this property (such as lease, usufruct or use) and the charges on the property, (mortgages, liens, easements, tax affections, etc.), or the circumstance of being free of them.

We can help you getting this document if needed.

It is the official document containing the information contained at the Central Register of Convicted Persons of each country.

A bank certificate is a letter issued by banking and financial companies when you make a deposit. This document is intended to support the delivery of money in foreign currency. The bank certificate guarantees immediate liquidity and good profitability of the bearer. In order to be accepted by the office of foreigners, this certificate must not have been issued more than two weeks before using it.

Legalization validates a foreign public document by verifying the authenticity of the signature and the legitimacy of the signing authority. Legalization does not certify the content of the document.

The Hague Apostille is a simplified procedure that has the same purpose as legalization and is applied between the States party to the Convention of 5 October 1961 , which abolished the requirement to legalize foreign public documents.

It is a permit that authorizes you to reside and work in Spain indefinitely under the same conditions as Spaniards.

Citizens of a Member State of the E.U. or of another State party to the Agreement on the E.E.E. who are going to reside in Spain for a period of more than three months, are obliged to apply in person before the corresponding Police Station, for their registration in the Central Register of Foreigners. This application must be presented within three months from the date of entry into Spain, and a registration certificate will be issued immediately, stating the name, nationality and address of the person registered, his foreigner identity number (NIE), and the date of registration.

It is the census certificate that registers the address of the inhabitants of a municipality. It is important because it helps getting access to certain services. Every time we change our address, we must inform the town hall.

It is the document that proves the registration of a couple in the official public registry of unmarried couples of the Spanish region where they reside.

For some residence permits applications it is requested to justify that the European citizen is in charge of the foreigner. This must be proved with transfers that the EU citizen would have made directly to their relatives and the amounts must achieve the sustenance and the maintenance of the family member in his country.

It is a document that certifies the registration of the applicant at the town hall, listing the movements produced and other facts related to the registration since the first registration until the date on which it has been requested.

We must prove that there are no other Spaniards or legal residents in Spain available who can fill the job offered to us.

It is the minimum amount that any employee must receive. This amount is set by the Spanish Government, which has agreed on a minimum interprofessional wage of 1,000 euros for the year 2022.

It is an index used in Spain as a reference for the granting of aid, subsidies or unemployment benefits.

In many residence permits it is used to calculate the economic amount that must be accredited to justify the maintenance and support of the family unit in Spain.

For the year 2022, the monthly IPREM is 579.02 €/month and the annual IPREM is 6,948.24 €.

It is a list made by the Ministry of Education that includes all the university centers and official academic degrees in Spain.

To find out if your educational center or degree is in this registry, you must access the following link:

It is a translation stamped and signed by a sworn interpreter-translator appointed for this purpose by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The sworn translator attests with his signature, seal and certification that the translation reflects 100% of the content of the original document. Therefore, the sworn translation is a document with legal value.

For families of two members, you should show an amount representing 150% of the IPREM.

The resources may come from own resources or from work or professional activities.

It is a document issued by the Civil Registry or Consulate, that attests to the fact of birth, date and time of birth, as well as the identity details for the registered person, including name and surname, sex and affiliation, among others.

It is a document that certifies the number of people living together at the same address, according to the data that appear in the corresponding census sheet of the Municipal Register of Inhabitants.

The DELE Spanish diplomas are official qualifications accrediting the level of Spanish language. It is granted by the Instituto Cervantes on behalf of the Ministry of Education.

DELE is not necessary for those who have previously obtained a diploma of Spanish language as a foreign language of at least level A2, as well as nationals of: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia Costa Rica. Cuba. Ecuador. El Salvador, Guatemala, Guinea Ecuatorial, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, República Dominicana, Uruguay y Venezuela.

Is an examination test developed by the Cervantes Institute that evaluates the knowledge of the Spanish Constitution and the Spanish social and cultural reality. Passing the test is one of the requirements established by law for the granting of Spanish nationality.

Applicants for Spanish nationality may provide certificates from training centers, residences, registration in libraries, gyms, etc., that demonstrate their integration into the Spanish society.

Here you can consult the list of countries that are part in the Hague Convention. Documents issued by any of these countries have to be apostilled with the Hague seal in order to be accepted in Spain.

Citizens from these countries are required to register their marriages in the civil registry of their country of origin.

Alemania, Austria, Bélgica, Republica Checa, Chipre, España, Finlandia, Irlanda, Islandia, Luxemburgo, Andorra, Holanda, Reino Unido y Suecia.

This is an authorization that allows foreign students to start their studies or extend them in Spain.

A residence permit is the authorization granted by the Spanish government to a non-EU citizen to reside legally in the country for a period of more than 90 days.

With a residence permit it is also possible to visit any other country in the Schengen area as a tourist.

There are two types of residence permit: temporary and long-term.

- Temporary residence permit: it is an authorization to stay in Spain for a period of more than 90 days and less than 5 years. It can be renewed, according to the circumstances that motivated the first authorization.

- Long-term residence permit: it authorizes to reside and work in Spain under the same conditions as Spaniards. It has several requirements. One of the assumptions is to have resided legally and continuously in the Spanish territory for 5 years.

The border-free Schengen Area guarantees free movement to more than 400 million EU citizens, along with non-EU nationals living in the EU or visiting the EU as tourists, exchange students or for business purposes (anyone legally present in the EU). Free movement of persons enables every EU citizen to travel, work and live in an EU country without special formalities. Schengen underpins this freedom by enabling citizens to move around the Schengen Area without being subject to border checks.

Today, the Schengen Area encompasses most EU countries, except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. However, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area and already applying the Schengen acquis to a large extent. Additionally, also the non-EU States Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein have joined the Schengen Area.

The internship agreement is used by the students and supervised by the university to complement the knowledge acquired in the academic training, bringing the student closer to the reality of the professional field in which he/she will work once graduated and developing the competencies that will favor his/her incorporation into the labor market.

Internship contracts for graduates should not be confused with internship agreements for students. The main difference is that the internship contract, as its name indicates, is an employment contract that can be formalized when the student has already completed his or her official studies.

It is a professional contract whose purpose is to grant professional practice to a worker according to his or her level of studies.

Questions? Ask us and our lawyers will respond within 24 hours.